Can PRP Therapy Help Repair Acne-Scarred Skin?
The age-old struggle with acne can come with long-lasting and visible consequences – scars that require special treatment to repair. Though over-the-counter creams may reduce the appearance of scars, they only work superficially. Now, microneedling with platelet-rich plasma (PRP) provides much-needed relief for this embarrassing problem.
Dr. Mukhtar Anees can explain how PRP treatment works during a comprehensive consultation in Burleson, TX. Call Med Spa At Seena One to schedule yours today.
What kind of acne scars can PRP repair?
When acne lesions heal, collagen gets released into the skin and leaves behind a raised or discolored area. Scarring occurs when the body produces too much collagen in response to the trauma.
Microneedling with platelet-rich plasma can be an effective way to manage the following acne scars:
- Icepick scars: These deep, narrow marks are the most common type of acne scar.
- Boxcar scars: Wider than icepick scars, boxcar scars have clearly defined edges and an indentation in the middle.
- Rolling scars: These are soft and wavy depressions that look like hills and valleys across the skin.
How does microneedling work, and what is PRP?
Microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure that uses needles to form tiny punctures in the skin. This stimulates our natural healing process and encourages fresh collagen production over time.
Med Spa At Seena One may recommend combining microneedling with PRP – a concentration of platelet cells made from your own blood. Platelets contain growth factors that assist with healing, and they can be administered to the affected area to repair damaged skin.
We begin treatment by taking a small sample of your blood, and then place the blood in a centrifuge to separate the healing platelets from the other components. The activated platelets are then applied to the skin during microneedling.
What are the benefits of microneedling with PRP treatment?
Some people learn about the process of microneedling and feel hesitant about the idea. Rest assured that microneedling with PRP is safe and often quite comfortable, especially when working with Dr. Anees and our experienced team members in Burleson, TX. Benefits of this procedure include:
- Short treatment time: A single microneedling procedure with PRP may take around 30 – 60 minutes.
- No discomfort: We use a numbing cream or local anesthesia to minimize pain.
- No downtime: You may experience some redness in the treatment area, but any side effects should subside shortly after your appointment.
- Long-term results: Many patients notice improved skin quality and fewer acne scars after multiple treatments.
Your results after microneedling with PRP
The results of microneedling with PRP treatment depend on your unique skin, but most people notice that their acne scars are significantly reduced. You may see improvements in skin tone and texture as well. Additional treatments may be necessary to maintain the desired results, but Dr. Anees can provide more information about your individual treatment plan.
Smooth away acne scars with PRP
We understand that acne scars are embarrassing and can be difficult to manage. Med Spa At Seena One is here to provide the comprehensive support and tools you need. Dr. Mukhtar Anees can explain the benefits of microneedling with PRP in more detail during a consultation. Call to schedule your appointment at our office in Burleson, TX. We cannot wait to improve your complexion through this innovative treatment.